Friday, April 16, 2010

The Beginning

Good afternoon everybody, and welcome to my blog!

My name is Beverly. I'm a returning-adult college student studying to become a registered dietitian, as well as an avid foodie. I love cooking and I love saving money, and with this blog I hope to teach some of you out there how to do both.

This idea came to me last semester (my first semester back in school after a 2-and-a-half-year hiatus), as I was writing a research paper for my English class on the Food Stamp program and the need for adequate nutrition education as a mandatory part of the package. As I was reviewing the literature, it occurred to me that not only do FSP recipients need to know what kinds of foods contain which vitamins and other nutrients, they need to know how to prepare them! Knowledge is essentially useless if you can't apply it. I've always had a heart for practical education, so I decided that since I have a good bit of knowledge in the areas of nutrition and cooking, this is something I could do.

When planning, I decided that if I was doing this at all I was going to go all in; I applied for Food Stamps and was approved. My only food budget for the month is going to be my EBT card. This means that there are certain things that I will not be able to buy; that's fine with me. This is a semi-scientific experiment; whatever suffering I endure will be to the benefit of posterity. Kind of.

This information is geared toward people who are receiving FSP benefits, but those that aren't are welcome to join; everybody likes to save money! It is intended to help you make educated decisions which will benefit you and your families more than you know. The rates of nutrition-related preventable diseases in the USA today are frighteningly high, and who doesn't want to try to protect themselves and their kids from those dangers as much as possible? If you put in the effort, you will see your rewards.

I will post a new entry every few days with recipes, shopping tips, and pictures of yummy dishes I've created with the pricing included (your pricing may be a little different depending on your location).

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment